When it comes to women’s equality – equal rights, equal pay, equal treatment, equally affordable health care – I do my best to live up to the values my mother taught me. So, in tribute to my mom and, I hope, a legacy to my daughter, Alicia, I will continue to fight for all women until America realizes true equality.
- Securing economic independence for women
- Guaranteeing equal pay for equal work
- Supporting working mothers and caregivers
- Eliminating threats to reproductive rights
- Promoting health insurance that works for women
- Preventing violence against women
Ensuring equal rights for women
Bob is the lead Senate sponsor of the Equal Rights Amendment, which would make women’s equality a fundamental right guaranteed under the Constitution.
Securing equal pay for equal work
Bob was a leading supporter of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, a critical step toward pay equity. The law makes wage discrimination based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or disability illegal and strengthens the legal recourse available to those who are subject to such discrimination.
Working to standardize paid family leave
Bob believes it's shameful that the United States remains the only industrialized nation in the world that fails to guarantee paid family leave. In the Senate, he's a sponsor of the FAMILY Act to make sure that every new parent is able to take time off to bond with a newborn, bring a sick child to the doctor, or help an ailing parent without fear of losing their job or risking their financial security.
Fighting violence against women around the world
Bob introduced the International Violence Against Women Act (IVAWA), which aims to make reducing violence against women and girls across the globe a top international priority for the United States.
Combatting gun violence
An average of 50 women across America are shot to death by intimate partners each month, according to FBI data. Bob believes that reducing domestic violence requires more stringent gun safety laws. That's why he has sponsored measures to close background check loopholes, restore the assault weapons ban, and limit high capacity magazines used in mass shootings such as Las Vegas, Parkland, and Newtown.
Ensuring health insurance works for women
Bob was a leading voice in the Senate to secure provisions in the Affordable Care Act which ensure insurance companies are no longer able to charge women higher premiums or deny coverage by considering a pregnancy a preexisting condition.
Protecting access to preventive health services
Bob worked to ensure that preventive services, such as an annual well-woman visits and mammograms, are available without any out-of-pocket costs. Additionally, Bob is a strong supporter of the Protect Women’s Health from Corporate Interference Act, a bill to fully restore the contraceptive coverage requirement in the Affordable Care Act and ensure that a woman and her doctor are able to make health care decisions without the interference of her boss.
Raising postpartum depression awareness
Bob authored the Melanie Blocker Stokes MOTHERS Act, which was included as part of the Affordable Care Act, to educate women about the signs and symptoms of postpartum depression and conduct research to expand our understanding of the causes of, and treatments for, postpartum conditions.
Latest on Women's Rights
- Leading Senators Blast USAID Head for Attacking Sexual and Reproductive Health Provisions in UN’s COVID-19 Response Plan
- Menendez, Booker Urge Support for Victims, Survivors of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault during COVID-19 Pandemic
- Menendez, Booker, Colleagues Introduce Violence Against Women Act
- Menendez, Booker Announce Over $10M to Support New & Expecting Moms, Strengthen NJ Families
- Menendez, Collins, Feinstein Lead Bipartisan Resolution Congratulating U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team on Historic Victory, Urging Equal Pay
- Menendez Hosts Ninth Annual Women’s History Month Celebration
- Menendez Joins Push to Permanently Repeal Global Gag Rule