Military & Veterans
I’ve said many times that a grateful nation not only goes to a Veterans’ Day observance or marches in a Memorial Day parade, but shows its gratitude in the opportunities, services, and benefits we provide to our veterans and all men and women in uniform. The budget should never be balanced on the backs of those who serve our great nation.
- Ensuring veterans have access to affordable, quality, convenient health care
- Promoting economic programs for veterans so they can succeed in the workforce when they leave the military
- Maintaining a strong military force capable of meeting today’s global threats, and fighting to protect the vital missions at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, Picatinny Arsenal, Coast Guard Training Center Cape May, and Naval Weapons Station Earle
- Protecting women in the military and supporting equal treatment and care for all service members, regardless of gender
- Protecting military families by making sure they have the support and benefits they need
Helping veterans exposed to toxic substances while serving
Bob is a strong advocate for veterans unjustly excluded from the VA health system. He has cosponsored legislation such as the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act and the Fairness for Korean DMZ Veterans Act to ensure veterans who served off the shores of Vietnam and in the Korean DMZ can receive care for service-related illnesses due to exposure to Agent Orange.
Preventing VA hiring freezes
Bob believes in protecting and improving the VA health system. When President Trump imposed reckless hiring freezes across the federal government, Bob demanded the VA be exempted. His efforts helped lead the Administration to back down, enabling the VA to continue making new hires to care for our veterans. Bob has also voted for legislation to hire more VA medical personnel, improve accountability, and build new VA facilities such as the outpatient clinic in Brick, NJ.
Working to Honor America's Fallen
Bob believes in honoring those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to our nation. He's a leader in the fight for a memorial to honor those lost in Operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield. Bob was instrumental in securing a memorial honoring POW/MIA service-members now displayed in the Capitol. Recently, Bob helped pass a law to honor the American Legion's 100-year anniversary with a new commemorative coin, with proceeds supporting job fairs, help for homeless veterans, and more.
Improving Veterans’ healthcare
Bob helped pass the Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act to secure timely funding for the veterans health care system” so the Department will no longer be held hostage by recurring budget battles in Congress. Bob also supported the Veterans' Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act which has helped address the problem of very long patient wait times at Veterans Healthcare Facilities across the country that were brought to light with the scandal at the Phoenix, AZ Veterans’ Affairs facility.
Securing jobs for veterans
Bob co-sponsored the VOW to Hire Heroes Act that boosts veteran employment opportunities, expands education programs, advances the Transition Assistance Program, improves transition to civil service, and provides tax credits for businesses who hire unemployed veterans.
Promoting New Jersey military installations
Bob fought to secure more than $389 million for New Jersey military installations, including $49 million for the National Guard to build an Army Aviation Support Facility at Lakehurst and $9 million for the Base Civil Engineering Complex for the 108th Air Refueling Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard.
Supporting New Jersey veterans’ cemeteries
Bob successfully secured increased funding for New Jersey Veterans' Cemeteries.
Protecting women in the military
Bob is a co-sponsor of the Military Justice Improvement Act that would help end the systemic fear victims of military sexual assault confront in deciding whether or not to report the crimes committed against them due to the conflict of interest posed by the military chain of command’s sole decision-making power over whether cases move forward to a trial.
Bolstering the National Guard
Bob co-sponsored the National Guard Empowerment Act that gives the National Guard a greater voice in Pentagon decisions.
Latest on Military & Veterans
- Menendez, Military Leaders Break Ground for New Aircraft Coming Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehust
- In the News: Head of the U.S. Navy visits Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, Picatinny Arsenal
- In the News: These four-legged military heroes will soon have an award of their own
- Menendez Honors WWII Veteran, 26 Young NJans Appointed to US Military Service Academies
- Menendez, Booker Announce Nearly $570K to Help NJ’s Homeless Vets Move into Permanent Housing
- Menendez Calls on VA to Renew Commitment to Fight Veterans Homelessness
- Menendez Reintroduces Legislation to Help Military Servicemembers Avoid Financial Hardships