America is a nation founded upon the principles of equal justice for all. My commitment to promoting civil rights is in my DNA. As a child growing up in an immigrant community, I learned that each one of us has a fundamental decency, no matter our race, creed, or gender. My mother always told me I could do my best and achieve my dreams, and every person should share in that dream.
- Ensuring every person – regardless of race, gender, country of origin, religion or sexual orientation – is treated equally under the law.
- Fighting against discrimination and hate crimes.
Opposing the Trump Administraton's discriminatory agenda
Bob believes in building on the legacy of civil rights leaders with policies to fight racial injustice wherever it arises. That's why he's opposed Trump Administration efforts to weaken protections against housing discrimination and cosponsored the Voting Rights Advancement Act to combat voter suppression. Bob also helped pass a law combating hate crimes and has sponsored criminal justice reform legislation such as the End Racial Profiling Act and the National Criminal Justice Reform Act.
Ensuring equal rights for women
Bob is a lead sponsor of the Equal Rights Amendment, which would make women’s equality a fundamental right under the Constitution.
Ending discrimination against the LGBT community
Bob cosponsored multiple pieces of legislation that would end discrimination based on sexual orientation including the Respect for Marriage Act the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and the Student Non-Discrimination Act. He also cosigned the amicus brief urging the Supreme Court to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), and he applauded both the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision striking down DOMA and the historic court decision that legalized same-sex marriage in New Jersey.
Ending racial profiling
Bob is an original cosponsor of the End Racial Profiling Act, which prohibits racial profiling and creates a private right of action for victims of racial profiling.
Providing equal pay for equal work
Bob co-sponsored the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which helps end pay discrimination. The law made it illegal to discriminate in wages based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or disability and strengthens the legal recourse available to those who are subject to such discrimination.
Combating violence against women
Bob was a cosponsor and strong advocate for renewing the critically important Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). He also introduced the International Violence Against Women Act (IVAWA) that makes reducing the levels of violence against women and girls across the globe a top diplomatic priority for the United States.
Latest on Civil Rights
- Menendez Opposes Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals Nominee
- Menendez, Booker, Pascrell Announce $550,000 in Federal Grants to Support African American History
- In the News: Clinton, lawmakers denounce State Dept. for cutting language on women's rights
- Menendez, Booker, Colleagues Question AG Sessions on Closing of Attorney Access Office
- ***VIDEO RELEASE*** Menendez Visits Irvington Church, Talks Affordable Education, Economy and Criminal Justice Reform
- ***VIDEO*** Menendez Strongly Opposes Brownback Nomination
- Menendez, Colleagues Pen Letter to AG Sessions on the Alarming Rise of Hate Crimes Across the U.S.