We need to be the voices for animals who cannot speak up for themselves. I believe we must treat all animals in a humane way. I’m always working to prevent animal cruelty and find constructive solutions that will improve the lives of animals.
- Protecting both household and wild animals from research- and market-related abuse
- Ensuring animals receive humane treatment in the food industry
- Supporting efforts to provide adequate federal funding for the welfare of animals
Leading the charge for animal safety
Supporting funding for animal welfare
Bob supported efforts to provide funding to enforce the Animal Welfare Act, the Horse Protection Act, the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act, and more.
Bob co-sponsored the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act, which would protect dogs and crack down on high-volume retail breeders.
Improving treatment of hens
Bob sponsored the Egg Products Inspection Act Amendments, which would ban barren battery cages in the egg industry to improve the treatment of millions of hens in the United States.
Keeping horse transportation safe
Bob authored the Horse Transportation Safety Act that would prohibit the interstate transportation of horses in double-decker trailers and would create civil penalties for each horse transported.
Banning consumption of American horses
Bob co-sponsored the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act which would prohibit long-distance transport of American horses that will be eaten in countries where horse meat is a delicacy.
Limiting invasive chimpanzee research
Bob co-sponsored the Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act, which would limit the use of chimpanzees in invasive research, retire federally-owned chimpanzees, and save millions of taxpayer dollars.
Latest on Animal Rights
- Menendez Leads Call for Trump Admin to Ban Trophy Hunt Imports of Endangered Species
- Menendez Leads Effort to End Horse Slaughter; Calls on Senate Leaders to Continue Defunding USDA Inspections, Ban Horse Meat in US
- Menendez, Booker, Dems Fighting Elephant Trophy Decision
- Menendez Reintroduces Bipartisan Bill to Ban Horse Slaughter
- In the News: Menendez bill aims to honor unsung military war dogs and handlers
- In the News: U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez wants to create a federal commendation for military working dogs and their handlers
- In the News: Senators seek to end seismic testing in NJ, citing danger to marine life