Menendez Announces Nearly $9 Million In Rebates For Energy Efficient Appliances In New Jersey

Menendez Announces Nearly $9 Million In Rebates For Energy Efficient Appliances In New Jersey

Washington - Today, US Senator Robert Menendez announced that the state of New Jersey has been awarded nearly $9 million dollars as part of an innovative U.S. Department of Energy program to encourage the use of energy efficient ENERGY STAR appliances. These federal funds will be awarded through rebates to reduce the cost of higher-efficiency appliances and help foster greater public awareness of the benefits of using ENERGY STAR products. The rebate program will also encourage the increased demand and help retain associated manufacturing, retailing, and recycling jobs. Funding will be awarded to New Jersey's energy offices, based on a formula created in the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Through September 4, the program will be awarding 10% ($833,500) of these rebates; the remaining 90% will be delivered following approval of the application and program plan.

"This program will help us jumpstart our economy - a green economy that protects the environment, lowers energy bills and increases energy security. ENERGY STAR appliances pay for themselves in reduced energy costs, but many consumers just see the slightly higher sticker price. These rebates help overcome that barrier and will also immediately bolster appliance sales and create jobs.

###