Senator Menendez is honored to recommend motivated students from New Jersey to our country’s service academies. Additionally, he is grateful that many of our young, ambitions students have the desire to serve our great nation.
In order to understand how Senator Menendez’s selections are made, please review the application process below.
You may begin your online application by clicking the academy application button at the bottom of the page.
Important note: Applicants do not need an Academy Nomination for the Coast Guard Academy.
- Create an account in the online academy application portal.
- In the online system, read the application instructions and the eligibility requirements for a nomination before beginning the questionnaire.
- Fill out the online questionnaire.
- Once you have completed the questionnaire, mark it "complete" for it to be reviewed.
- Please print the online application and submit all required materials to:
The Office of Senator Robert Menendez
Attn: Academy Department
1 Gateway Center, 11th Floor
Newark, NJ 07102
- Applicants for nomination must also apply to the academy of their choice. Congressional nominations and academy applications are both required to attend.
- All application materials must be submitted by Friday, October 9, 2015
- You can check the status of your application by clicking "checklist" in the top-right corner of the online application.
- An interview will be scheduled for all applicants whose files are found to be competitive and complete.
- If you have any questions or concerns about the nomination process, please contact our academy department at 973-645-3030.
Criteria & Eligibility
Criteria for selecting nominees are based upon the standards and goals of the academies, stressing:
- Leadership potential;
- High academic performance;
- Demonstrated athletic ability;
- Self-motivation; and,
- Performance on the SATs or ACTs.
Academies require nominees to be:
- Permanent residents of and domiciled in the state of the nominating senator;
- At least 17 years old, but not passed their 23rd birthday; and,
- Unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents. (The marriage and age requirements vary for the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.)